Monday, 23 February 2015

Made It! Chalk Board Bedside Tray


It seems like chalkboards are everywhere right now and all DIYers have played around with chalkboard paint somewhere in their homes. Now, I am no exception. I have surrendered to the domestic chalkboard frenzy.

I recently came across this serving tray at the Goodwill for $0.99.

I was intrigued by the gold edges and brackets but, as you can see, it has a fairly tacky humming bird painted on the front. This just wouldn't do. So I ended up sanding the tray and was almost able to remove the humming bird entirely. I then applied about 3 players of chalk paint, alternating the direction of my brush stroke. 


Above is a picture of the paint drying. When dried, chalkboard paint has a very nice matte finish and I find that it looks pleasing without any chalk writing at all. That said, I like having the option of using it as a label-able charcuterie board in the future. For example:

Dishfunctional Designs: Chalk It Up! Creative Uses for Chalkboard Paint
(Source Unknown)

For now, it is 'serving' me well as a tray on my nightstand.

FYI - The flower paperweight also came from Goodwill ($3.00) and the frame is from Dollarama ($2.00).

Best!
- J



No comments:

Post a Comment